Wednesday 15 January 2014

Both sides of the interview table

I've been interviewed a good handful of times since leaving University, 3 have been in the past 7 months, so the process is quite fresh in my head!

Each interview has been a relatively scary experience, despite usually being described as 'casual' in the prior correspondence emails.

Regardless of location; private meeting room, a corner of a huge office or at your local Starbucks, there is that pressure of not only hiding your nerves but showing your skill-set without coming across as arrogant. I have added pressures of hiding my tattoos and my tendency to sweat heavily in the spotlight.

This week, for the first time ever, I was on the panel of interviewers and got to meet a trio of wonderful interviewees. I think it's always incredibly eye-opening to be sat the other side of the table, for a number of situations in life, but this one in particular was surprisingly nerve wracking...

You hold the key to the door that gives them access to a better life. A door that helps them financially, in confidence growth and one that builds their career. I have been on that side of the table many times and I know how equally difficult it is to demonstrate everything you know/can bring to their company, in a matter of minutes.

I always thought of the interviewer as 'the one who is holding out the key and seeing how high I will jump for it'. When in reality, it's just as difficult to decide who is the best fit from that short meeting. My whole outlook on the process has now changed and I learned I'd be horrifically bad at speed dating, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment